The first centre of worship on our current site, on the borders of Lumfinnans and Lochgelly, was constructed between 1896 and 1897 and dedicated to St Finnian, a Celtic saint. Built of corrugated iron, it was known locally as the Tin Kirk.
In 1936 a new house and church hall were provided and in 1938, as the old church had become too small for the size of the congregation, the Tin Kirk was pulled down and the foundation stone for a new, permanent structure was laid. The church, which is in fact our present building, was consecrated later that year by Bishop Reid. The congregation, being notably bigger than our present congregation, was led musically by a choir and there was a Sunday School.
In 1966 a small garden at the front of the church was set aside as a Garden of Remembrance and is still in use as such today.
By 1980, St Finnian’s, in common with many other churches, experienced falling numbers. In consequence, the church house and hall were sold and between 1980 and 1981 the interior of the church itself was altered to incorporate a hall and kitchen within the one building.
However, in 1997, amid much rejoicing, St Finnian’s celebrated the centenary of its foundation. And today, though our numbers may be smaller, both our members and also our visitors are able to enjoy the very special spiritual atmosphere which exists in our place of worship.